How to Connect eve to my physical switch 3560E

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

Tizo

How to Connect eve to my physical switch 3560E

Post by Tizo » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:12 pm

Hi everyone.

I am struggling to connect my switch to eve. I installed eve on bare metal, partitioned my drive for dual boot. First boot eve (ubuntu 16.04) second boot, windows. Anyway, I am able to connect to EVE GUI and build my labs but to connect to my external switch, this gets too confusing. EVE can see all my pnet interfaces 0 - 9 represented as clouds. So I think I have to use cloud 1 (pnet1) to connect to my switch. How on earth can I do that ? Ubuntu on its own is just too confusing in terms of configuration. Below is eve seeing both my nics:
root@eve-ng:~# ifconfig -a | grep ^eth
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 18:d6:c7:04:d9:bf
eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 4c:cc:6a:cc:f2:52

I have attached my lab layout and I want that bridge to be my physical switch so that all my X10 CRS1Kv routers can connect through my switch.
Please help me out.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ramindia

Re: How to Connect eve to my physical switch 3560E

Post by ramindia » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:47 pm

Tizo wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:12 pm
Hi everyone.

I am struggling to connect my switch to eve. I installed eve on bare metal, partitioned my drive for dual boot. First boot eve (ubuntu 16.04) second boot, windows. Anyway, I am able to connect to EVE GUI and build my labs but to connect to my external switch, this gets too confusing. EVE can see all my pnet interfaces 0 - 9 represented as clouds. So I think I have to use cloud 1 (pnet1) to connect to my switch. How on earth can I do that ? Ubuntu on its own is just too confusing in terms of configuration. Below is eve seeing both my nics:

I have attached my lab layout and I want that bridge to be my physical switch so that all my X10 CRS1Kv routers can connect through my switch.
Please help me out.

Thanks.

If i understand your question correctly.

1. One interface you want to connect to your LAN.
2. Another interface you want to connect to Physical Switch 3560 ? is this correct, if so you have 2 Physical Interface in the System ?
3. Configured pnet1 to eth1. ( GUI you have to use cloud1)

R!

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:53 pm

I think this will explain you all...
x3 CSR nodes connected to external Roter, your case it will be real ST 3560 in trunk...
I used cloud1 interface. Cloud1 is second eth interface on EVE VM, bridged to real ESXi server NIC, and connected to real device.

UD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tizo

Post by Tizo » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:37 pm

ramindia wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:47 pm
Tizo wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:12 pm
Hi everyone.

Please help me out.

Thanks.

If i understand your question correctly.

1. One interface you want to connect to your LAN.
2. Another interface you want to connect to Physical Switch 3560 ? is this correct, if so you have 2 Physical Interface in the System ?
3. Configured pnet1 to eth1. ( GUI you have to use cloud1)

R!
Thanks for your response.

Question 1: Yes. Already connected to manage EVE. Please see my screen shot attached. The used interface for this is pnet0.
Question 2: Yes. My PC has x2 NICs. One is already in use for Question 1.
Question 3: How must I configure ? Based on my screen shot, must I configure an IP address on pnet1 on a different subnet, then on my switch, lets say interface fast ethernet 0/45, configure the ip address there to be in the same subnet range ?

For question 3, I see many use q-in-q. I just don't get the concept.
I hope I answered your questions properly. I am looking forward to your response. Thank you very much. I appreciate the help.

Tizo

Post by Tizo » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:45 pm

Uldis (UD) wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:53 pm
x3 CSR nodes connected to external Roter, your case it will be real ST 3560 in trunk...
I used cloud1 interface. Cloud1 is second eth interface on EVE VM, bridged to real ESXi server NIC, and connected to real device.

UD
Thank you for your response.

How did you configure this ? From the switch side, I must have a trunk, allowing all VLANs. Then from eve cli, how must I configure pnet1 ? Must I use an IP address on a different subnet range than that of pnet0 ? See my screen shot attached from my previous response. If you don't mind, please could you share how you configured your part. I was told that I must use q-in-q.

Thank you very much for your response. It is very hard to get help in my environment because just a small few use eve ng.

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:19 pm

Question 3: How must I configure ? Based on my screen shot, must I configure an IP address on pnet1 on a different subnet, then on my switch, lets say interface fast ethernet 0/45,

DONT touch pnet interfaces inside EVE, it acting only as bridges for you !!!

single pnet0 has IP for your management to access EVE.
rest dont touch...

pnet1 is bridged to your second eth on PC...

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:23 pm

Tizo wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:45 pm
Uldis (UD) wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:53 pm

UD
Thank you for your response.

How did you configure this ? From the switch side, I must have a trunk, allowing all VLANs. Then from eve cli, how must I configure pnet1 ? Must I use an IP address on a different subnet range than that of pnet0 ? See my screen shot attached from my previous response. If you don't mind, please could you share how you configured your part. I was told that I must use q-in-q.

Thank you very much for your response. It is very hard to get help in my environment because just a small few use eve ng.
no need touch pnet1 at all, IT IS BRIDGE !!!
on real SW configure trunk and all done...
eve lab CSRs will speak with it in dot1q....vlans

QinQ between EVE virtual sw on lan to real sw is not tested....

DONT touch pnet1 cli inside, it is bridge PIPE thats it:)
your eve nodes are one end and real sw is other end...:)
actually join in live slype help and find me, your case is simple as....

https://join.skype.com/tg7cWW9H1MwT

uldisd.poisonfish

UD

Tizo

Post by Tizo » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:29 pm

uldisd.poisonfish

UD
[/quote]

Hahahahha!!!! Okay. Still at work now, don't even have remote access to my server yet. I'll join later in Skype for help should I struggle, but I doubt I will. Your explanation is perfect. Thanks a lot.

Tizo

Tizo

Post by Tizo » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:35 pm

uldisd.poisonfish

UD
[/quote]

Wasup y'all! :D

Thanks for the help. lol, this was easy. I thought it was a complicated task. Please check out the results from the attached screenshots!
I'm flippin happy, hahahaha! Now I can go kill my CCIE Lab!