neither Intel VT-x or AMD-V not found

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

hermodfinjord

neither Intel VT-x or AMD-V not found

Post by hermodfinjord » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:37 pm

Hi
I have installed EVE Community Edition as a Virtual Machine on my ESXi 5.5 server. The physical VMware host is an old Dell 1950 server with 64GB ram and 1TB disk. In the VM host server BIOS i have enabled Virtualization but I still get the following errormessage in the EVE server console, "Neither Intel VT-x og AMD-C not found".

When I enable "Enable hypervisor applications in this virtual machine" on the EVE VM server, I get the following error when starting up the VM: "Virtualized Intel VT-X/EPT is not supported on this platform. Continue without virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT?"

For me it looks like that my Dell 1950 doesnt support VT-X even if it is possible to enable/disable it in the bios... I dont know :-P

I have only tested som basic labs with a couple of 7200 routers and it seems to work as expected!?

Does this error message mean anything for the EVE functionality? Maybe routers isnt affected by this, but when running servers inside EVE I will get problems??

ramindia

Re: neither Intel VT-x or AMD-V not found

Post by ramindia » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:26 pm

hermodfinjord wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:37 pm
Hi
I have installed EVE Community Edition as a Virtual Machine on my ESXi 5.5 server. The physical VMware host is an old Dell 1950 server with 64GB ram and 1TB disk. In the VM host server BIOS i have enabled Virtualization but I still get the following errormessage in the EVE server console, "Neither Intel VT-x og AMD-C not found".

When I enable "Enable hypervisor applications in this virtual machine" on the EVE VM server, I get the following error when starting up the VM: "Virtualized Intel VT-X/EPT is not supported on this platform. Continue without virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT?"

For me it looks like that my Dell 1950 doesnt support VT-X even if it is possible to enable/disable it in the bios... I dont know :-P

I have only tested som basic labs with a couple of 7200 routers and it seems to work as expected!?

Does this error message mean anything for the EVE functionality? Maybe routers isnt affected by this, but when running servers inside EVE I will get problems??
Suggest to read this article..

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2011/07/bio ... or-vmware/

R!

hermodfinjord

Post by hermodfinjord » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:03 pm

ramindia wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:26 pm
hermodfinjord wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:37 pm
Hi

Suggest to read this article..

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2011/07/bio ... or-vmware/

R!
Thanks, but...

I have already enabled Virtualization Technology in the BIOS exactly like it says in the article you are refering to... I still got the warning in the EVE server console saying, "Neither Interl VT-x or AMD-C not found". I have also checked the "Enable hypervisor applications in this virtual machine" option for the virtual EVE server. When starting the EVE server the following message pops up: "Virtualized Intel VT-X/EPT is not supported on this platform. Continue without virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT?"

My question is: Do i need VT-X to get EVE to work 100%?

hermodfinjord

Post by hermodfinjord » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:45 pm

My ESXi host has two x5355 Intel CPU which support VT-X but doesnt support EPT.... Thats why im getting these errors :-(

Case closed!

ramindia

Post by ramindia » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:17 am

hermodfinjord wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:45 pm
My ESXi host has two x5355 Intel CPU which support VT-X but doesnt support EPT.... Thats why im getting these errors :-(

Case closed!
show us more evidence that support and you follow all steps

post the screen shot what you have done for VT-X right from bios screen shot to EVE-NG setup to guide you better

R!

seb

Post by seb » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:52 pm

Hello,

I don't know if that can help, but I have encounter the same issue, after edit EVE's .vmx file and add this information it was good :

vhv.enable = "true"

R

DHBNC

Post by DHBNC » Fri May 08, 2020 8:01 pm

Hello!

This solution worked for me on ESXi 6.0: I turned on manual VT-x under VM options and I added the line to the EVE .vmx file:

vhv.enable = "true"

I am running on older X5550 processors, Virtualization is on. Thank you for this solution!