Change Primary Network Interface

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

rsxhawk

Change Primary Network Interface

Post by rsxhawk » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:34 pm

Hello,

I'm using EVE-NG on a bare-metal server, an HP DL360p that came with a 4-port ethernet card. I've been using this card perfectly fine with no issues, but now I would like to use a 10G Mellanox card that I have installed as the primary network interface, is this possible? Let me be clear, I do not simply want to change the IP of eth0/pnet0, I want the new 10G Mellanox card at eth4/pnet4 to become the primary network interface if possible.

Or would I have to go as far as removing the 4-port ethernet card in order for the new 10G Mellanox card to be seen as the primary?

***UPDATE***

I decided to attempt to fixing this manually by first allowing the system to reset its management IP address by using the "rm -f /opt/ovf/.configured" command from the FAQ. I rebooted and went through the setup prompts again with the preferred address. I reboot the server again and pnet0 is showing the changed IP which is what I figured would happen. Having done that, I then just edited /etc/network/interfaces and changed eth0/pnet0 to eth4/pnet4 and vice-versa, saved the config and restarted the networking service and now my Mellanox 10G card is the primary. Probably could have just done this from the start but wasn't sure if this would bork anything (like what IP apache listens on) - I can reach the web interface for EVE just fine over the Mellanox card now.

chestar

Re: Change Primary Network Interface

Post by chestar » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:19 pm

just repalce pnet0 backend nic to eth4