Changing how System MACs are Allocated in Different Labs

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

dime_a_tron

Changing how System MACs are Allocated in Different Labs

Post by dime_a_tron » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:19 pm

Hello all,

I'm relatively new to EVE-NG but had a question I wasn't able to locate the answer to elsewhere. I am using EVE-NG to simulate a number of network topologies and configurations. Each lab is tied to an external management system for automation and testing as well. What I've noticed is that each time I spin up a new lab topology, the system MACs that are assigned to the virtual nodes are always the same. Normally, this wouldn't be a big issue. But since the external management system is registering the nodes based on this system MAC, it seems the devices in different topologies as the same nodes and tries to apply the same config, which is not what I want. Is there a way to change how EVE allocates the system MACs for new topologies to make them globally unique across all topologies? If there is any other info I can provide that would help, please let me know. Thanks!

Uldis (UD)

Re: Changing how System MACs are Allocated in Different Labs

Post by Uldis (UD) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:28 am

True,
In the EVE MAC address generator is using 2 values:
Node ID and user Pod number.
Therefore if all your labs are created by one EVE user/login and node ID connected to management cloud has same ID, MAC will be same on it.

Solutions:
1. in the EVE Pro we have option for qemu nodes change the MAC for first interface when you adding node in the lab
2. run that lab as user2
3. if you are using IOL or other cisco routers sonnected to cloud, you can change MAC in cli for interface connected to cloud.

Uldis