Guests inside VMWare Workstation won't connect to devices in my LAN or the Internet

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

palula

Guests inside VMWare Workstation won't connect to devices in my LAN or the Internet

Post by palula » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:58 am

Hi.

I'm using Eve-NG Community inside a VMWare Workstation running on an Odroid H2 device.

Inside Eve-NG I created a topology consisting of a management cloud connecting to a Cisco L2 Switch on Ethernet 0/0 and also connected to a Windows 2016 Server machine. And I'm able to start the Windows 2016 Server node pretty smoothly and everything is working fine except for connections to the outside world --- EVE-NG host connects to the outs

The configuration of the VMWare host is setup in bridge mode and I am able to SSH into the Eve-NG host and ping the devices inside my home network (router and machines)m as well as the internet (e.g: ping -c1 8.8.8.8). However I'm not being able to connect to the Windows 2016 Server guest machine to the outside world.. To make matters worse, the Windows 2016 Server guest machine is getting DHCP from my Router and all the configurations pertaining to my network are being assigned as expected, but I can't ping the EVE-NG host machine from inside the Windows 2016 machine, and likewise, although the guest receives a correct in-range IP address and gateway, I can't ping the guest from the host.

Here is a snippet of the VMWare host network settings:

And here is an SSH connection from my real notebook to the given EVE-NG host:

The following is an image showing a simple topology:

And the following is an image of the Windows 2016 Server guest --- running inside Eve-NG

This problem has caught me because the following information is being assigned correctly by the router inside my home LAN:
  • IP address;
  • Gateway;
  • DNS resolver address 1;
  • DNS resolver address 2.
I have tried changing the configuration of the management cloud to bridge in order to see if changes would occur but it doesn't work as well.

wislleym

Re: Guests inside VMWare Workstation won't connect to devices in my LAN or the Internet

Post by wislleym » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:45 pm

I have exactly the same problem. My router connected to the CLOUD obtains an IP address, but cannot connect to my physical machine and the outside world.
I'm here fighting.
I am using VMWARE PLAYER 15.

Uldis (UD)

Re: Guests inside VMWare Workstation won't connect to devices in my LAN or the Internet

Post by Uldis (UD) » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:08 am

One answer is to use NAT adapter to get your nodes from lab to internet.
Ypou cannot ping inside node from native host for simply reason if server nodes has disabled incoming icmp on fw.
same you must check native host icmp allowance through fw
This scenario is working 100%, just need check home router FW, home host FW...

For VM player I recommend to use NAT adapter

wislleym

Post by wislleym » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:03 am

I used NAT on the EVE VM and the access worked.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.