Backup Question Regarding TMP Socks Files

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

Symetricon

Backup Question Regarding TMP Socks Files

Post by Symetricon » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:59 pm

I am trying to backup my system before the 3.x upgrade. Whenever I try to grab the ./tmp directory *.sock files report failing because they are in use. This is after a reboot. I have verified no labs are running in the background. Is this expected? Is it OK to ignore these files?

Uldis (UD)

Re: Backup Question Regarding TMP Socks Files

Post by Uldis (UD) » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:37 pm

And why did not stop all labs sir...
stop labs and run migration script again

Symetricon

Post by Symetricon » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:30 pm

I did stop all the labs, and rebooted. The only files not backing up are the SOCK files. I just wanted to know if that was a problem.

I assumed since these were all in the TMP directory they weren't that important, but wanted to make sure before I started the upgrade.

Sparky

Post by Sparky » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:23 pm

I had the same thing when I have been backing up an Eve-NG server yesterday before upgrading it. I definitely also had all lab stopped so please don't throw that back at us.

Symetricon

Post by Symetricon » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:50 pm

@Sparky did you proceed with the upgrade? Did it go well?

Sparky

Post by Sparky » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:09 pm

Not yet, I posted a question here earlier today about how to backup the user accounts if that's possible. But it's not the end of the world if I lose them as they can fairly easily be recreated. In fact I'm going to do a clean install as the upgrade failed, I got myself into a loop whereby the script you download to upgrade to 3.0.1-16 gave an error as there are upgradable components but those upgradable components are eve-ng-pro, and a couple of other eve related components, forget now exactly which ones. So try and upgrade them but they won't install as there's dependencies which I assume are on the 18.0.4 Ubuntu upgrade. So I go round in a circle. There were other issues related to the /boot partition constantly filling up with initrd files and then if it's full that causes problems like not being able to login to the GUI so I thought it probably best to start again with a clean install.

Symetricon

Post by Symetricon » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:22 pm

I plowed through with the upgrade regardless of not getting any answers to the *.socks question. The upgrade completed without issue, and the couple of labs I checked appear to be operating OK.