EVE-NG Server choices

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

emilykiny62

EVE-NG Server choices

Post by emilykiny62 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:40 am

Hi Homelabbers!

I'm looking to setup a new server for EVE-NG to use for my Cisco CCIE lab revision and I wanted some advice on what hardware to go for. It will be to go in my office or possible Garage (more room to have a rack etc), depending on if I can get cabling to Garage.

I've been looking at Dell PowerEdge R710 and Dell T5600. I've been leaning towards Dell T5600 as it would be easier to have in the office with it being a Tower. Nothing too fancy, something off ebay for around £500 is my anticipated spend.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Important factors are it must have dual CPU support (looking at 6/8 core), minimum 64GB RAM and the most energy efficient option is always welcome :)

Butchie_t

Re: EVE-NG Server choices

Post by Butchie_t » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:42 am

I am using a Dell-R710 now for my set-up. I am upgrading it to 192gb shortly. You can get a nice one for around 200-300 USD and accessorize as you need to.
It sits in my home lab rack in my garage quite nicely.

I found my 710 on ebay as well as the memory and upgraded cpu’s.

Cheers,

B.T.

kmanthezu

Post by kmanthezu » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:32 pm

emilykiny62 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:40 am
Hi Homelabbers!

I'm looking to setup a new server for EVE-NG to use for my Cisco CCIE lab revision and I wanted some advice on what hardware to go for. It will be to go in my office or possible Garage (more room to have a rack etc), depending on if I can get cabling to Garage.

I've been looking at Dell PowerEdge R710 and Dell T5600. I've been leaning towards Dell T5600 as it would be easier to have in the office with it being a Tower. Nothing too fancy, something off ebay for around £500 is my anticipated spend.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Important factors are it must have dual CPU support (looking at 6/8 core), minimum 64GB RAM and the most energy efficient option is always welcome :)
I use a T5600 with dual e-2630 , 128GB ram and 2 x 1 TB drives. It has been solid I also own 2 of them. It sounds like a PC very quiet and has a 850w PSU

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:33 pm