EVE-Pro - Constantly running out of space

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

RoadRunner99

EVE-Pro - Constantly running out of space

Post by RoadRunner99 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:57 am

I am constantly running out of space when building labs. I recently purchased EVE-Pro. I don't believe it has anything to do with the update. But after a few weeks when I'm building labs of Servers, Load Balancers and Firewalls I get an error cannot write to disk on EVE topology view. I have to go back and add more HDD space to the virtual machine. It's becoming annoying and not scalable for my 1 Terabyte HDD Server. I would like to know how to free up space on my EVE VM and export old labs or configs so I don't have to constantly scale up HDD Virtual Disks.

I'm running a local ESXi Server on a Dell PowerEdge 1U Rackmount on 96GB of RAM. Please help me make this EVE ESXi environment similar to EC2 Spot instance where I only use what I need and start up new labs always cleaning up HDD space. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ecze

Re: EVE-Pro - Constantly running out of space

Post by ecze » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:20 pm

If you never wipe your lab nodes, it is normal...

E.

RoadRunner99

Post by RoadRunner99 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:18 pm

Thanks ecze. I will begin the cleanup process by exporting and keeping my labs stored in my external disk arrays outside my EVE data store. Once done I will let you know if running "dh -h" reveals more disk space available. I like to optimize my lab time resources so I can build bigger labs. Thanks!

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:34 am

:) bigger labs means bigger HDD :)
all simple,
some of images like Firepower can take more than 10Gb space of single lab...
It is depends what images are used in the lab
take this into account
UD

example:
this lab takes about 20-25Gb space in hdd
http://www.eve-ng.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3319
but this one only 2-3Gb
http://www.eve-ng.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1200

space eaters are:
ISE (single ISE can eat up to 20-30Gb single node !!!) even more
ACS
Windows server or host
WSA
ESA
FirePower stuff

RoadRunner99

Post by RoadRunner99 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:44 am

UD,

I have a fairly interesting issue maybe you can help me solve it. I've reserved 940GB of additional HDD in my virtual EVE VM but I only see about 526GB reserved. It makes no sense after I did what ecze said and export/delete my lab configurations. Where did all the 940GB allocated HDD space go and why is there 260GB used up? I did a WinSCP to check my folders and see which is consuming the most space and the only thing I can think of is the folder that stores the images each take up a certain amount of storage space in the VM.

Goals
- Increase my reserved root disk space to match the HDD VMware virtual machine configuration from 526GB to 940GB
- Determine what is consuming HDD space of 256GB in my VM that has no lab configurations
- Find the best way to quickly optimize HDD space on a clean EVE lab environment
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:21 pm

come in live chat
too many questions what you did and how...

UD

RoadRunner99

Post by RoadRunner99 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:11 pm

How do I go into live chat?

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:46 pm

Live chat is here:
http://www.eve-ng.net/live-helpdesk

use google account or create new chat account
it is not same account as for forum here