Ubuntu on bare metal: cannot boot

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

rastybind

Ubuntu on bare metal: cannot boot

Post by rastybind » Sun May 19, 2019 9:38 pm

Hi,

I have difficulties to install Ubuntu 16.04.06 LTS on bare metal.

My hardware are:
HP DL360P Gen8
2x 2680v2
128G RAM
Thoshiba SAS drives 4x 2TB (i disabled Raid HP controller P420i, I use Ubuntu soft Raid0)

I installed many times Ubuntu, and I encountered 2 errors:

1) When installing on all drives with Ubuntu software Raid0, the installation completes and there is no error message. The server reboots but it cannot boot from the hard drives

2) When installing on one drive (no Ubuntu sofware Raid0), Grub loader cannot install. Here are the error messages.

[Start of message]
"Executing 'grub-install /dev/md122p1' failed. This is a fatal error"
[End of message]

When retrying, I got the error message
[Start of message]
It seems that this computer is configured to boot via EFI, but maybe that configuration will not workd for booting from the hard drive. Some EFI firmware implementation do not meet the EFI specification (ie they are buggy) and do not support proper configuration of boot options from system hard drives.

A workaround for this problem is to install an extra copy of the EFI version ofthe GRUB boot loader to a fallback location, the "removable media path". Almost all EFI systems, no matter how buggy, will boot GRUB that way.

Warning: if the installer failed to detect another operating system that is present on your computer that also depends on this fallback, installing GRUB there will make that operating system temporarily unbootable. GRUB can be manually configure later to boot it if necessary.

Force GRUB installation to the EFI removable media path ?"
[End of message]

Even when the installation to the removable media, it fails.

Is there something to do with UEFI, EFI, GPT ? (the HP DL360P gen8 does not seem to support UEFI).

Thanks.

Uldis (UD)

Re: Ubuntu on bare metal: cannot boot

Post by Uldis (UD) » Mon May 20, 2019 5:57 pm

ytry install from ISO.
make ISO medial Ubuntu install and then.
Raid 0 is ok

rastybind

Re: Ubuntu on bare metal: cannot boot

Post by rastybind » Thu May 23, 2019 9:12 pm

Hi,

At last, I was able to install and boot Ubuntu 16.04.06 LTS server on my HP DL360P Gen8.

The solution was to install Ubuntu 14.04 LTS server first, and then upgrade to 16.04.

Next step: install Eve NG :)