Question about EVE-NG Cluster?

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

MashrafeMortaza

Question about EVE-NG Cluster?

Post by MashrafeMortaza » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:28 am

I have some questions regarding about cluster setup.
Is there any reason that the recommendation is at least 4? And, is there any caveat if we make a cluster of 2-3 members instead of more than 4?

Also, from the same cluster presentation doc, my understanding is that we can mix servers with different hardware config or mix bare metal with ESXi VM. But, I could not find info in either the presentation doc or cookbook regarding how different they can be in their hardware performance (please point me to a doc/info if there is existing documentation).

Is there a threshold of how different the CPU/RAM/HDD performance can be on each server in a cluster?
(e.g. can we cluster a server that has the latest AMD Epyc CPU or Intel CPU with another server that has couple generations old Intel Xeon CPU as long as they meet the requirements (e.g. can we cluster a server that has NVMe storage with another server that has old HDD without causing performance issue on EVE-NG lab? )

I assume the best practice is to use similar spec across the cluster but could not find info about what the outcome would be if there is a huge gap in hardware performance between servers in a cluster.

We are planning to deploy a EVE-NG cluster and would like to know those information.

Thanks,

Uldis (UD)

Re: Question about EVE-NG Cluster?

Post by Uldis (UD) » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:52 pm

You can mix anything you like
just as master choose best box of all your farm..
rest is given in the eve pro cookbook..
and it is no limt 4 or more
Personally I atest 6 servers mix in cluster
all ok