New Bare Metal Install

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

rsxhawk

New Bare Metal Install

Post by rsxhawk » Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:40 pm

I noticed in the install guide it now lists Ryzen 3900 as being compatible with EVE for bare metal. Is the 5900x usable with EVE?

I have a new 5900x based system that I tried to install EVE using both the ISO and on top of a vanilla ubuntu install and in both cases I get an issue with the screen/video output. Using the ISO booting to usb the EVE install wizard appears to be on screen but the picture is so scrambled I cant see what Im doing. Alternatively installing on top of vanilla ubuntu server 18.04 works all the way until i reboot the host to come up in "EVE" mode but all i get is a black screen with nothing on it. If it helps, I have an RTX 2060 GPU in this system. I assume its an issue with the video card but just curious more than anything at this point.

System specs:

Ryzen 9 5900x
RTX 2060 Mini
32 GB of G skill 3600

Uldis (UD)

Re: New Bare Metal Install

Post by Uldis (UD) » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:22 pm

EVE is using Ubuntu 20.04 now, both versions

rsxhawk

Post by rsxhawk » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:55 pm

Okay thanks, so I just reflashed my USB drive to the Ubuntu Server 20.04 installer and I'm still getting a scrambled screen. Can I just try the standard Ubuntu Desktop to see if that works?

I have attached a photo of what my screen looks like when attempting to boot from USB with 20.04.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rsxhawk

Post by rsxhawk » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:31 pm

For anyone interested, I figured out what the issue was. I resolved this by going into my motherboard's BIOS and turning off "Full Screen Logo Show" upon boot up. I guess for some reason it was being displayed/overlayed when the installer was trying to at the same time but as soon as I disabled that, the installer loaded up immediately and I can now see what I'm doing.

If you're running into a scrambled screen when trying to boot to the USB installer, turn off your motherboards logo display upon boot.

Thanks.