Can't ping my default GW / physical Router in Bridge Mode via LAN??

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

KirenPollard

Can't ping my default GW / physical Router in Bridge Mode via LAN??

Post by KirenPollard » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:10 am

Hi guys

I have a problem and need your help.

My installation looks like this:

EVE-NG Community current version
Host Windows10 Pro
VMware Workstation Pro 16

Now to my problem.

1st case:
If I use a WLAN card in bridge mode, I can reach all other VMs and also the Internet or my physical router from EVE-NG. I only get messages on the Cisco Node that duplicate IP was detected, although no duplicate IP is used. But it only works if I configure the IP addresses on Cisco Node statically. DHCP does NOT work. No idea why.

2nd case:
If I switch off WLAN and connect my computer to the router via LAN, then DHCP for Cisco Node works perfectly. The problem is, I can't reach my router. So my Cisco Node gets an IP address from my router, but I can't ping the router. I can't reach other VMs either.

Case 3: If I use NAT mode instead of Bridge, everything works fine.

I am already at the end of my tether. Can someone please help me?

Uldis (UD)

Re: Can't ping my default GW / physical Router in Bridge Mode via LAN??

Post by Uldis (UD) » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:53 pm

First:
Not all wifi network adapters supporting promiscue mode, therefore DHCP on bridge to wifi simply cannot work.
it is VM ware issue with specific vendot wifi NIC
for laptops I recommend to use VM ware NAT adapter for the reasons:
Your wifi network is changing and if it happens, your eve will need change IP either..
VM ware NAT adapter is bound to your PC wifi IP and thats why it has no issues