Google cloud suspension

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

ciscomonk

Google cloud suspension

Post by ciscomonk » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:01 am

Hi all,

I have successfully deployed eve-ng community version on google cloud and it runs really well.
After one day of use, I was suspended by google, with message "We've detected that your Google Cloud Project ***** is engaging in cryptocurrency mining, resulting in the suspension of all project.

On the instance, I have set firewall rules to only allow access from my home IP address, so not sure if this alarm is triggered by high CPU usage.
has anyone experienced this issue or has any input ?

Thanks in advance !

Uldis (UD)

Re: Google cloud suspension

Post by Uldis (UD) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:26 pm

And why did you not secured it? set root password and rest change passwords
EVE itself does not do anything wrong

ciscomonk

Post by ciscomonk » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:07 pm

At this point, I am not even sure I am compromised. The assumption is that my lab pushed CPU consistently close to 100%, which may have triggered an automated response by Google.
Note, I have limited VM cpu to 10, to save cost, but running XRV9K nodes.

No doubt it is not EVE's problem, I am asking if anyone experienced similar issues, i.e is this a legit threat or is google relying blindly on mitigation scripts...in which case, I will move to another hosting platform.
I find it odd that F/W rules allowing only my work IP is not enough, which suggest my work computer is compromised.

Grrrshark

Post by Grrrshark » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:39 pm

I had the same issue, and I also believe it is related to CPU usage.

ciscomonk

Post by ciscomonk » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:17 pm

Good to know Grrrshark !

Did you come up with a workaround ?
I allocated more CPUs and set thresholds to trigger warnings...to be tested.

Grrrshark

Post by Grrrshark » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:34 pm

Yeah, pretty much the same thing, and if I use more resource-intense devices like Palo alto or nexus 9k, I will always add more CPU. Thankfully it only happened one time and after appeal google opened my VM again.