License rehosting (new server HW and IP address)?

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

TamimIqbal

License rehosting (new server HW and IP address)?

Post by TamimIqbal » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:26 am

hello,
I read the EVE-NG Pro Cookbook (sections 4.7 and also 4.6) related to license deactivation and rehosting.

I wonder if I can easily move my license from an old server A to a brand new server B (more powerfull) with a new IP physical address (not the one seen by the license validator) ? For the record, I will keep server A as a cluster slave-member. So server A will still have its IP_address_A and server B will get a new one.

From my understanding, it is possible by following this process:
1) request a license from a server A (following section 4.5 of the cook book) and install it.
2) remove this license (section 4.6) from server A, offline server A
3) install EVE-NG pro on server B + load the license of server A on this server B + association server A as a slave in the cluster.

Is my understanding correct ? Won't there be any sort of incompatibility because of the IP/Hardware change ?

If yes, why do we need a license request checksum ? I mean if we can load a license file on any server, why is it mandatory to buy the license ? This is a bit odd.

Uldis (UD)

Re: License rehosting (new server HW and IP address)?

Post by Uldis (UD) » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:48 pm

and why you did not check ou web site mate??
https://www.eve-ng.net/index.php/docume ... ng-eve-ng/
your current
lic will work on new eve