Unable to console into network devices

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

miggs78

Unable to console into network devices

Post by miggs78 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:51 pm

Hi all, need some assistance please. I installed a fresh copy of eve-ng community edition via OVF on our company lab server, ESXi host, but I'm having issues connecting to any network device, even just using a VPC I get the following error:
"An error has occurred and this action cannot be completed. If problem persists, please notify your system administrator or check your system logs"

This is using HTML5 console, if I use native console, it opens a telnet screen which doesn't really react to any prompts. I had added some Fortinet FG firewalls and a Cisco router yesterday and had the same issue, with Fortinet firewalls I guess we have to use the html5 console as there is an issue accessing the CLI via console using the native console, this is required for initial config. Either way, I have a similar setup on my personal laptop which works fine (but since I'm running out of resources not having enough RAM, I'm deploying this on the lab server which is beefier)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bsj_yj ... sp=sharing

Uldis (UD)

Re: Unable to console into network devices

Post by Uldis (UD) » Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:34 pm

It is your corporate newowr FW rules issue, which wont allow use http to the esxi IP

miggs78

Post by miggs78 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:07 pm

Uldis (UD) wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:34 pm
It is your corporate newowr FW rules issue, which wont allow use http to the esxi IP
Hey I was thinking the same but I don't think it's the firewall, I am able to access vSphere, all ESXi servers as well via GUI. Also from my local machine (we have access to the lab network), I am able to open a telnet session to the eve IP over the port eve is trying to connect to the devices on but eve itself won't connect to the machines.

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:32 am

Esxi must have enabled Promiscue mode and rest settings,
also DSV or NIC teaming is the issue, avoid use it

c0lp4nik

Post by c0lp4nik » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:27 pm

Agreed with @miggs78
miggs78 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:07 pm
Uldis (UD) wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:34 pm
Hey I was thinking the same but I don't think it's the firewall, I am able to access vSphere, all ESXi servers as well via GUI. Also from my local machine (we have access to the lab network), I am able to open a telnet session to the eve IP over the port eve is trying to connect to the devices on but eve itself won't connect to the machines.
I have the same problem. First, ESXi 7. Second, All DSV settings are ACCEPT Promiscuous, ACCEPT MAC Changes, ACCEPT Forged... I see the same testing a single network device, EVE-NG/ul-wrapper single instance launches the VM/qcow2 instance, and opens 32769, but direct connection via telnet never returns a prompt, and via HTML5 (which only works in "legacy" even when choosing "HTML5" at the login screen), guacamole returns a black screen with a cursor and never connects.... and if there's an issue, it then opens a "EVE-NG HTML5" login page (even though I am ALREADY/SITLL logged into the console in another tab...) and none of the accounts authenticate...(another bug)...

Third all F/Ws are disabled: on ESXi, on the VMs themselves, on the desktop/browser connecting to the VMs/EVE -> ALL FIREWALLS Disabled. GNS3 -works a treat! CML - works a treat (SAME ESXi, Same desktop/browser connecting). this only leaves 1 place...EVE-NG Community 5.0.1-13. So either this is a bug, some super intricate setting missed or..... due to the piracy going on....purposely disabled in community....

Note I even added "-serial:Telnet:127.0.0.1:32770,server,nowait mon:stdio" to the custom QEMU load options to FORCE the telnet serial, and no love :(

@ULdis - Please advise.

c0lp4nik

Post by c0lp4nik » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:06 pm

Tech Stack:

ESXi 7 - Proliant DL380G9 - 20 CPUs, 512GB RAM (BEAST)
4 CPUS, 32GB RAM - EVE-NG
VT-X, Nested Virt enabled, yes!
EVE-NG - Multi-homed, NO NIC TEAMING or BONDING!
Hope that helps..

Logs - No errors produced, just showes QCOW launched (3 threads curiously)

single test -

1 Device/QCOW
4 ports te-1/1/1 - 1/1/4
2 CPU
2 GB RAM

port 32769 listening, nobody home :(

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:15 pm

First,
It is not beast but low end server
Second you didnt mention what that qemu device it is
EVE Pro is using random ports for telnet 1-65000

c0lp4nik

Post by c0lp4nik » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:45 am

that happens when the file is named wrong: https://www.eve-ng.net/index.php/docume ... e-namings/

Soooooo....@EVE-NG-Rusty is "Not-So-Rusty" and THE MAN!

THANK YOU!

c0lp4nik

Post by c0lp4nik » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:49 am

Flattery will get you everywhere.....

QEMU Device = Pica8's PicOS(-V)
Server is plenty "Beast" for Testing in a Small Lab....Though I will happily accept contributions :)
EVE-Community Edition.... Thanks though!

Was going to offer some co-marketing but....since you insulted the bare-metal in the lab....

However, EVE MASTRE JEDI Rusty has redeemed you so.... enquire within ;)

Thanks.
C0l. P.