EVE on bare metal or not

Moderator: mike

kibanjain

EVE on bare metal or not

Post by kibanjain » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:53 pm

Hi all,

I am looking for some opinions and experience of the different deployments of EVE NG. I am currently getting SCOR out of the way before CCIE Sec.

Right through R&S, CCNA and up, I used GNS3 which is perfectly fine for running tons of routers and a few switches. With Security now, I need to run FTD, FMC, ISE, VM1, VM2, VM3, etc, etc. I have a decent rackmount server running ESXi and it is pretty fit for purpose, but I do like the idea of running Docker containers right in the EVE topologies and also vIOSL2 to incorporate switching for Dot1x, etc. I have been testing the Community edition as a VM on ESXi and found the performance a little slow. It took an hour to install a SVR '19 VM for example. The EVE VM itself had 120 gigs of RAM. Can anyone recommend the bare metal install of EVE? What have been your experiences with it? Is there a performance improvement? What about the Pro version? I think I am sold on the hot adds to interfaces and the docker containers, but I want some opinions on that too.

Thanks!

Uldis (UD)

Re: EVE on bare metal or not

Post by Uldis (UD) » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:20 pm

It is not EVE issue, check this

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19670