MAC addresses and Mikrotik images

Moderator: mike

jantypas

MAC addresses and Mikrotik images

Post by jantypas » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:50 am

I've just purchased my EVE-NG pro, and it's up and running. I was able to create my topology and get everything started. I've got Linux machines and several Mikrotik routers. (V7). I've noticed two things -- I'm sure it's my fault, but that isn't helping me much :-)
  • If I attempt to use the clickable console -- Mikrotik does open up, but nothing shows up, as if it can't handle ssh or telnet.
  • A bigger problem. The qemu nodes for ROS7 start, for example with 50:00:00:01:00:00, but Mikrotik has its own way of numbering MAC addresses for say eight interfaces. The first might be 50:00:00:01:00:00:01 and the next is 50:00:00:01:00:04... How do people handle this? Do I just have to create a unique MAC for each interface on each router, or do I do something in EVE-NG. This matters because ether1 suddenly becomes ether5 etc.

jantypas

Re: MAC addresses and Mikrotik images

Post by jantypas » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:05 am

It's not an answer, but a crude workaround -- and, I've found it's not just Mikrotik, but VyOS and Linux as well, so it's an EVE-NG problem at least.
For Mikrotik, I just gave up and re-named the Ethernet interfaces to what EVE-NG wanted. For example, if I have 8 interface,s ether5 is really Eth1, and ether8 is really Eth3.

kurtnirvan

Post by kurtnirvan » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:32 am

Hi mates,

Here is the same problem and this make us confused to work and sometimes we prefer to not use evng on our labs and testing scenarios!
Hope they work on that and fix this

rusty725

Post by rusty725 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:45 am

First of all make sure to upgrade your templates to current.
https://www.eve-ng.net/index.php/docume ... -from-git/
For community only templates are available via this method. For Pro everything is available.
Update your templates and then remove your nodes and add new nodes and try again.