Moderator: mike

sajiby3k

Re: Regarding AMD Processors

Post by sajiby3k » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:42 am

Hi,

As I have not got any log from any one, I will share my side of log to show,

Host - Windows 10.
Processor - AMD Ryzen7 2700X
Vm - Runnning under VMWare workstation 15.5.6 (VM with ubuntu 18.04.4 with nested virtualization from VMWARE )

Now let's look at environment in VM -

$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
Release: 18.04
Codename: bionic

/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 --version
QEMU emulator version 3.1.0 (Debian 1:3.1+dfsg-2ubuntu3)
Copyright (c) 2003-2018 Fabrice Bellard and the QEMU Project developers

And under that qemu 3.1.0 arista veos latest relese just works -

localhost#show version
vEOS
Hardware version:
Serial number:
Hardware MAC address: 0caf.b2c2.a308
System MAC address: 0caf.b2c2.a308

Software image version: 4.24.1.1F
Architecture: i686
Internal build version: 4.24.1.1F-17172302.42411F
Internal build ID: cf3ba327-e192-46b4-8e8e-4aeaee798dd2

Uptime: 0 weeks, 0 days, 0 hours and 4 minutes
Total memory: 2014424 kB
Free memory: 1363364 kB

Anyone with more expertise with linux, can help me what is the log in qemu-wrapper used by eveng-community and why it just fails for vmware and qemu.

For me clearly - it is not that vmware workstation that does not support nested virtualization vm with qemu version higher than 2.

For me it is clearly eve-ng vm who does not support qemu higher than version 2 with AMD processors.

janegil

Post by janegil » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:03 pm

Uldis: Sorry for being slow, but is there anything that does not work with newer AMD processors?

I am currently using EVE-NG in proxmox (which I can see is not officially supported) with nested virtualization, now running on Intel Xeon-D.
Does this mean it is now safe to upgrade the system to an AMD Ryzen/Threadripper/EPYC system, or are there still things/images/virtualized systems etc not working on AMD that I need to be aware of? Is there any way to check which processors are supported/not supported if not all processors are?

sajiby3k

Post by sajiby3k » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:08 pm

Hi,

I am running AMD Ryzen 7 2700X in Windows 10 with latest vmware workstation.

Only qemu 2 works.

No qemu 3 or 4 works. With some VMs like newer Arista or Juniper, you need newer interface type like virtio or vmxnet3. Those lan card is only possible with qemu 3 or higher.

I have shown that from another product, qemu version 3 successfully runs an Arista VM.

It would be nice if developer shows how to get the logs when a vm with qemu3/4 fails with eve-ng community.

Instead of just blaming everything on AMD. I am not AMD fanboy. Just use that processor because of price.

It must be some old OS (ubuntu 16) or some old library that just not support AMD processor.

But alas!!! no one shows or posts the logs.

As other products are now using web-ui, I runs those modern VM over there.

As eve-ng community has no plan to implement proper AMD support in near future.

Let's see what happens in near future.

Nickshah23

Post by Nickshah23 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:21 pm

Hi @Shajiby3k,
Are you facing any problems with any other images with AMD processor?
I am planning to buy AMD threadripper 1950x machine and running eve-ng over vmware workstation. So i am wondering if there is any problems running labs on AMD. Please let me know
Thanks

sajiby3k

Post by sajiby3k » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:51 pm

Hi,

Nothing runs, if that required qemu3 or qemu4.

I do not know about bare metal.

But if you run vmware workstation under windows 10, qemu 3 or 4 does not work.

Regards,

Shariful Hoque

nbctcp

Post by nbctcp » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:43 am

Anyone have list of supported AMD in Eveng Community on top of VMware Workstation Windows
How about these CPU
AMD Ryzen 3 4300U, Ryzen 5 4500U, Ryzen 5 4600H, Ryzen 7 3750H
tq

sajiby3k

Post by sajiby3k » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:57 pm

Hi,

I have done more digging on my own.

The developers can answer the questions if they have any wish to do so.

It is with eveng-comminuty and it's implementation of different versions of qmu and kvm acceleration.

For me with AMD Ryzen - KVM acceleration just works with qemu version 2.

If someone is interested they can ask the developers about their implementation of qemu and qemu-kvm in the VM. I am not asking that because I have asked it several times before.

For us who is facing problem - the solution is use just - qemu-2.5.0 when you create a node. Do not use any other version. Then you can have interfaces like vmxnet3 in your vm. Just do not use those default version of qemu for nodes.

Developers can also explain how they have implemented multiple versions of qemu with kvm support.

At least for me direct parameters like - -enable-kvm or -accel kvm never works with any version of qemu.

The can also tell us how KVM module is run without installing the package "qemu-kvm". I am well aware there are many ways to do the same thing in linux.

For those if it still does not work with qemu 2.5 just install - apt install qemu-kvm. But do not forget to create a snapshot of your vm before.

Meanwhile pro version users can enjoy their fancy ubuntu 18 with latest libraries if the developers have gave them. Never installed that so cannot tell what is used over there.

For rest of us we have at least a solution to the problem while running damn old libraries with ubuntu 16.

Oh not the least - many many thanks to the developers - because you gave us a free edition with which we can do lab.

Who knows the future - may be eveng will be a subscription based like Cisco modeling lab.

//

vrossi46

Post by vrossi46 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:20 pm

Have a new AMD Zen3 processor in the mail. Will give it a shot with EV soon!

sajiby3k

Post by sajiby3k » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:50 pm

More sucess with qemu 3 or 4 with amd ryzen processor where eve is running in vmware workstation -

Edit the file named - /etc/modprobe.d/qemu-system-x86.conf and the below two lines -

options kvm ignore_msrs=1
options kvm report_ignored_msrs=0

After that save the file and reboot the machine.

After reboot in your lab; you can use qemu version 3 or 4.

Happy labbing.